Wednesday, March 28, 2007

In Transit

Dictionary.com defines "transit" as "the act...of passing... through."

I'm back in Thailand and am currently in transit. I'm merely passing through. Some transits, like at an airport can take up to a couple hours; unless you're at LAX, well, that can take days. Still, other transits take much, much longer. Like the one that I'm in, I can't even see the exit sign. Being in transit can make one feel restless and question many things in life. You either want to get out and move on to the next stop, meet the people on the other end, or be on your way to accomplishing your goal. Being in transit is like dangling in mid-air. For a two hour transit, people try to sleep through it, read a book, or get on the Internet. But what if your transit takes weeks or months and you've done all the sleeping, reading, and chatting on and offline. I don't think anybody wants to spend weeks and months in transit. But I'm in it.

The apostle James said, " Consider it pure joy...whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."


It's not the easiest thing to record one's unpleasant experience for the whole world to read, but sharing it is-- and will be-- my contribution to humanity.

Like I said at some point ealier, traveling isn't always a glamorous bit; life, for that matter, isn't either. I had planned to be working and traveling for two years, but after six months of it, I'm ready to abandon ship and settle down! Leaving the land Down Under made it hard for me to keep moving. I had grown deep roots in five months. It was my desire to stay somewhere more than a week or two, so I could learn and absorb the culture. I did just that but didn't realize the emotional toll it took on the constant moving after establishing myself. I don't feel like I was done with Melbourne. For some strange reasons, it felt a lot like home, and five months weren't enough. I had some lows but also lots of highs during my trip down under. The people really made my trip--both in Melbourne and Papua New Guinea. Aussies and Papua New Guineans aren't hard to love. I want to go back, but the plan was to continue on. And I need to find work soon. Being out of work for too long isn't good for a healthy and sane human being. There was a time when I couldn't wait to be on holiday, but not right now...not now

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Nina, just wanted 2 say you are a shining light that has a radiance 4 God. Persevering thru it all. i feel I travel the same journey as you but in different circumstances. Keep up your fighting spirit. You are blessed because you are faithful!
Dennis from Melbourne